Welcome to SASC
Behavioral Health Is Essential to Health. Prevention Works. People Recover. Treatment is Effective.
•Walk-in substance abuse evaluations available in the Dubuque office every Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
•Substance abuse evaluations available in the Manchester office by appointment only - call 563-927-5112.
The Holidays Are Here - Celebrate With Care
With the holidays upon us, SASC wishes everyone a safe and happy holiday season. The holiday season can be full of overwhelming responsibilities, bustling activity, increased stress along with moments of joy, anticipation and wonder. During the holiday season, high energy levels are needed and social opportunities are plenty so it's important to celebrate with care.
Traditionally, alcohol consumption and celebrations go hand in hand. However, anyone can experience problems when drinking alcohol. The choices you make about how much alcohol you consume are important. Alcohol is a depressant and affects cognitive ability, coordination and physical health. The following are some tips to make hosting or attending a holiday party a healthy, safe and fun celebration.
As a host of a party, make the most of your celebration by:
- Providing attractive, appetizing non-alcoholic beverages
- Creating a relaxed atmosphere
- Never insist that someone drinks alcoholic beverages
- Plan activities to keep guests entertained
- Serve plenty of food and limit salty, thirst provoking items
- Serving any person under the age of 21 is ILLEGAL - Social Hosting
As a guest at a holiday party:
- Make healthy decisions about drinking alcohol; one serving = 12 oz. beer or wine cooler or 4 oz. wine
- Before you arrive, think about how you want to present yourself
- Bring your own non-alcoholic beverage of choice
- You do not have to explain why you have chosen not to drink
- If going with a friend, make a pact to stick together
- Keep in mind that drinking is not the focus of the party