Welcome to SASC
•Walk-in substance abuse evaluations available in the Dubuque office every Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
•Substance abuse evaluations available in the Manchester office by appointment only - call 563-927-5112.
March is Problem Gambling Awareness Month
Everyone is encouraged to Have the Conversation about Problem Gambling. Most adults gamble or know someone who gambles, and therefore could benefit from programs to prevent gambling addiction. We believe many who suffer in silence do so because they don’t know why they developed a problem, what gambling addiction is or where to get help. Use the resources on this site to learn the signs of problem gambling and know that help is available.
March is Problem Gambling Awareness Month. The goal of this campaign is to educate the public and healthcare professionals about the warning signs of problem gambling and promote the availability of help and hope both locally and nationally.
Have a conversation about how gambling affects your life if you or someone you know shows symptoms of problem gambling, including:
- Thinking a lot about gambling, such as past gambling experiences, future gambling ventures, or ways of getting money for gambling
- Needing to gamble with larger amounts of money or with larger bets in order to get the same feeling of excitement
- Repeatedly trying to cut down or stop your gambling without success
- Feeling restless or irritable when trying to cut down or stop gambling
- Gambling to run away from problems or to get relief from feeling depressed, anxious, or bad about yourself
- After losing money gambling, often returning another day in order to win back your losses
- Lying to family members, friends, or others in order to hide your gambling
- Losing or almost losing a significant relationship, job, or an educational or career opportunity because of gambling
- Relying on others to provide money to relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling
DID YOU KNOW
Charts are courtesy of the National Council on Problem Gambling NCPG.